Dutch Oven Herb Bread
1 teaspoon active or instant yeast
1 c. H20
About 4 cups all purpose flour
½ c. warm olive oil
¼ - 1/3 cup fresh chopped herbs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I prefer Redmond’s Sea Salt)
Kosher salt for sprinkling on top
· Dissolve yeast in water & let proof for 10-15 minutes.
· Stir chopped herbs into warmed olive oil (this helps release the flavor of the herbs)
· Combine flour, salt, olive oil & herbs with yeast mixture & knead for 10 minutes.
· Cover dough & let it rise until double in size.
· When dough has doubled in size, punch down & knead lightly to redistribute yeast.
· Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
· Pour generous amount of olive oil in bottom of cast iron dutch oven & then place dough inside, turning once so it is covered in olive oil.
· Score the dough with a large, deep X so bread can “bloom” while baking.
· Drizzle with more olive oil & sprinkle with kosher salt.
· Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven with lid on, then remove lid & finish off bread for another 15 or so minutes. Internal temp of dough should be about 200-210 degrees.