Monday, March 5, 2012

Skillet Rosemary Chicken


Pinspired by this recipe from Minimally Invasive, I made the above for dinner last night. Mind you, when I went to make it, I didn't have mushrooms (which is OK since the kids wouldn't have eaten them any way), I didn't have any red potatoes but I did have some Yukon Golds that needed to be eaten STAT, and I added a bunch of thyme, simply because it was in the pot next to my rosemary out on the pool deck and it said to me, "Add some of me to that rosemary and Meyer lemon in your skillet and it will be a party in your mouth!" (And it was.) I also cut a huge onion into  1/8ths and sauteed that after pulling the chicken out.

So at this point, I don't know if it can still be considered the same recipe since I changed four different ingredients but isn't that the point of being inspired? Taking something and making it your own?

Anyhooo, the kids gobbled it up, even my very picky seven-year old. He even ate the onions!


But the real star of the show? The Meyer lemons!!!



After finishing the dish off in the oven, the lemons were so soft and succulent, holy cow. I wasn't planning on eating the whole darn lemon, but I thought, "Hey...I wonder if that is any good?" After discovering the joys of preserved lemons, I am willing to be adventurous and try a roasted one, too. So I cautiously sliced off a bit and tasted it.

And let me just say, a bit of potato, chicken, onion and a sliver of roasted lemon peel is a party in your mouth.  Roasting the lemon peels made them tender and removed the bitter taste normally found in the pith (I don't know how, but I think I need to do some research to find out the science behind that one).

This recipe is definitely going into regular rotation here at the Happy House. Next time, I might even follow the directions a bit more closely.



No comments:

Post a Comment